Year 9 & 10 Borough Cup Champions!!!

Eastbrook’s year 9 & 10 football teams were crowned Borough Cup Champions after 2 tough finals at Dagenham & Redbridge Stadium this week.

The Y10’s played the first final of the day facing All Saints. We knew it was going to be a competitive match especially as they had won the Essex Cup two years go. We made the worst start possible conceding 5 seconds after kick off. One of the All Saints players had spotted Laurence off the line and tried his luck with a precise long range effort. This clearly was a bitter pill to swallow and it had a negative effect on the team. Laurence made sure that the score line stayed at 1-0 by making a couple of good saves. After a long & motivational half time team talk the boys came out with the confidence needed to get back in the game. The Eastbrook support increased in the stadium and this had a positive effect on the boys as they started to grow into the game. With 20 minutes to go Harrison got the ball 25 yards from goal, skipped past a challenge and unleashed an unstoppable curling effort right into the top corner. This got the crowd & team going which helped them to push for the winner. With 10 minutes to go, a hopeful cross into the box by Abdullah made its way to Abdul who calmly controlled the ball under pressure and slotted his shot into the bottom corner. Pandemonium struck in the stands and the boys knew that they didn’t have long to protect their lead. They defended extremely well for the last 10 minutes and were delighted when the final whistle blew.

Next up it was the year 9’s turn to try and win the double. They were up against Sydney Russell, a team they knew very well as they had already played them twice this season. The Y9 team had been there to watch the Y10s win the cup, so they were already motivated to get their hands on the trophy. It was a nervy start to the game with both teams failing to create any clear cut chances. We then started to test the Sydney Russell keeper and looked the more likely to score. With 10 minutes to go to half time, Octavian raced off his line to clear the ball up field and set Devante through on the right wing. He did extremely well to dribble past his opponent and managed to deliver a perfect cross into the box which was slotted home by Kevin. The second half was quite similar to the first one with us having the clearer chances but not able to increase our lead. Our back four (Joshua, Elliot, Jordan & Lendi) were a solid unit throughout ensuring Octavian didn’t have many saves to make. The team managed the rest of the second half well and ensured that they were also crowned borough champions on a successful day for the school & PE department.